Thursday, February 22, 2007

Kristi Visits the US Embassy

Who knew it would be such a process to get a document notarized in Australia...

It all started last week when I asked the concierge in our apartment building if I could go to the bank to find a Notary Public to notarize a document that I needed to send back to the States. She was unsure as to what a Notary Public was, but she said that everyone went to the local police station to get their documents authenticated. So I made my way over to the closest police station (2 km away) where I was told that they can only certify documents to be used within the State of Victoria. The police officer was very nice and told me I needed to talk with a Justice of the Peace to get my notorization and sent me on my way with a Justice of the Peace hotline number.

After dialing the hotline a couple of times I ended up with 6 names/phone numbers, one of which agreed to meet with me on Tuesday to sign the documents. On the phone I explained that I needed a notarization for a US document, but upon arrival at the home of the Justice of the Peace (1.5 km away) I quickly learned that I had spoken to a housemate who didn't realize that a Justice of the Peace can only authenticate documents to be used in the country of Australia. Straight away the Justice of the Peace told me I that needed a Notary Public (odd - isn't that what I'd been asking for all along?) He was very helpful and actually called one of the places for me so I could leave my contact info, but he warned that these people were solicitors so they would charge me for their time.

I didn't think much of it until I received a return call from the Notary Public who told me that they could easily notarize a document for me - for the small fee of $77! I was so surprised by the cost I didn't even know how to respond. I think I babbled something about getting back to them to make an appointment and hung up. In the States you can easily find a Notary Public down the hall, down the stairs or at least down the street at a bank, and you're usually looking at $5 or so and 5 minutes to get it taken care of. I guess I just didn't realize what a convenience that was!

Since I wasn't keen on spending quite so much to notarize my signature I had Josh ask around Accenture for other ideas. Someone suggested checking with the U.S. Embassy and it turns out that they are able to notarize documents for $30 USD - hey, I may not be saving any time but at least I saved some money! So today (it was another hot one) I made my way all the way over to the embassy (5 km away) to get it all taken care of.

So 6 days and 17 km later I have met the US Consulate General and have her signature and seal in my hands!

3 comments:

TriShannon said...

What an ordeal! Glad you finally got it taken care of.

Who needs training when you're doing that much walking?

haarsby said...

Haha...kind of a funny story! love it and love you big sis!

Unknown said...

Woo-hoo! Mission accomplished...good work agent K-MAK!