Thursday, August 21, 2008

Watching the 'lympics

First off I would like to thank NBC for their relentless lobbying to change the times of the events to better fit the US television schedule. The rest of the world loves being able to watch the finals of events in the middle of the night/day rather than spread throughout the day :-P Obviously I'm not bitter at all about not seeing any of Michael Phelp's records live and only being able to watch the highlights on YouTube.

It has been a lot of fun to watch the events in another country though and get another perspective on global sport. I'm guessing nobody in the US was able to watch the Kookaburas take on Spain, or the Opals beat Brazil, or the marathon event of the Spirit taking the bronze medal against Japan. I'm also guessing that nobody has a clue which three sports those Aussie teams play. (Field hockey, women's basketball and softball, respectively). We've also seen more rowing, yachting, equestrian events, women's weightlifting and Judo than we ever thought possible in such a short timeframe. Less than a week left and hopefully we'll be able to make it to the end - of course if we have to sacrifice sleep and work productivity then so be it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jim would like you to know you only missed THE most exciting races in the recorded history of swimming...but I'm sure the women's weight lifting made up for it! :-)