Sunday, November 18, 2007

Gatorade Tri #1 - St. Kilda Beach

Kristi reporting here...

So I have decided to mix things up a bit and try my hand at getting into the triathlon spirit this season with the Gatorade Triathlon Series. I can't say I've 'loved' the handful of triathlons I've attempted in the past, but so many friends and family members enjoy the sport that I feel if I hang in there I'll eventually enjoy it too. Well, race one of six is complete and I can't say my perception has changed...yet.

It seems that most tris I enter end up having crap weather on race day, and today was no exception with a morning of gusty winds and rain showers. Nonetheless Josh delayed his workout to come out and cheer me on - the role reversal was great!

I haven't been in peak training mode recently so I figured I wouldn't set the bar too high on my first race...well that was the understatement of the century as I dragged my bum out of the water last in my age group. There's no where else to go but up from here folks! Sadly I have actually been swimming more consistently than I ever have, but what can I say, I swim like a rock. I have only compete in one open water swim and I have never done proper swimming in saltwater, so after swallowing a couple of litres of bay water I have learned where my focus needs to be.

My crackerjack start allowed me to have great fun the remainder of the race catching and passing folks on the bike and run. I was fairly happy with both of those events for the first race of the season, but more time in the saddle and speedwork are in order as the season progresses. My overall finish was 1:29:49 - yeah for finishing. Stay tuned for the next round of race results in December, and wish me luck...looks like I'm gonna need it!

2 comments:

TriShannon said...

So exciting! I hope you stick with it so we can race together, or I can cheer you on, when you get back!

Congrats on race #1.

Unknown said...

You looked awesome! Too bad the weather didn't cooperate, but you handled it. Congrats kiddo!