Sunday, May 13, 2007

Kristi's Office

I've been asked what my new office at EvoGenix looks like, so I thought I would share a couple of pictures. It's pretty terrible - three shades of puke green, no natural light, and (as you can see) the person who inhabits the office is a bit messy! Those of you that have been in the office I had at NRG will easily understand why I feel this is so ugly, but luckily I don't spend as much time at work/in the office on a daily basis so I can deal.

Things are going fine with the new job. I've been there a little over a month now and am making friends, starting to understand more about the company and what is happening in the lab, and keeping quite busy as I settle into my role. I haven't stuffed anything up too badly yet, so that's positive!

I'm enjoying the 9 to 5 work day, morning tea, and taking a full lunch hour (anyone else worried that I might get a little jaded by this experience?) On Mondays and Wednesdays they also bring in a yoga/pilates instructor over the lunch hour so that's been a great bonus for me! It does take me an hour to commute to/from work on the tram, but I've started taking my knitting with me to help pass the time. I could also read - so if anyone has any good book recommendations please send them my way.

So the big news of the week is that another Australian biotech company has proposed to buy out and merge with EvoGenix. The company, Peptech, is also quite small and based in Sydney. If all goes well, the deal will be finalized in August and we will have a new name and likely move locations (same area, new building - which means a new office, if I still have a job - yeah!) The party line is that business will continue as normal and nothing will really change. We'll see...

3 comments:

TriShannon said...

9-5, a full lunch hour, morning tea, yoga... sounds like a great set-up! Don't get too used to that... it would be hard to find a similar gig here in the States. :-)

Unknown said...

With all the extras in your Aussie job, I guess a less than stellar office is acceptable...maybe a picture or two on that lovely bulletin board? You need Kirsten on this one!!

Unknown said...

Oh-a great book is 1421:The Year the Chinese Discovered America by Menzies. It's fascinating and Australia gets some coverage in the book also.