Sunday, May 6, 2007

Baked Oatmeal

Kristi's mum found the best baked oatmeal recipe that we must share. We tried out the recipe on Sunday morning after enjoying a bike ride along Beach Road and it totally hit the spot - it was so easy to make and sooo yummy to eat!
2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
4 c. milk
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. dried cherries
1 large apple, unpeeled and grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl, then transfer to a 3 quart casserole baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle top with additional almonds and then bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Serve hot. (As a variation, you can omit almonds, almond flavoring, and cherries. Add 1 Tbsp. cinnamon, 1/2 c. raisins, and 1/2 c. chopped peanuts - we're planning to try this one next!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A bit of snow here in Wyoming this May morning--I should have made this!

TriShannon said...

Now this I could try... sounds good!!

I could have used a nice big warm bowl of oatmeal after today's ride. 6 hours in 45-50 degrees with constant wind. I was so cold by the last couple of hours.

Maybe I'll go make some instant oatmeal now... I know, not the same, but now I've got oatmeal on the brain. :-)

AussieKails said...

K - we tried the variation with the peanuts and it wasn't worth it. We'll be sticking with the almonds and cherries from now on!

Josh