Thursday, October 2, 2008

Participation in Government

Today in Australia marks the Senate vote for the emergency 'Economic Stimulus' bill (aka The Wall Street Bailout). I thought I would share that this occasion marks the first time in my life that I have actually felt strongly enough about something to write to the congressmen (and women) of Colorado to voice my opinion. The interesting part is that it takes moving half-way around the world to get me involved in politics back home.

Surprisingly it is really easy to locate the websites for the various elected officials and even easier to write a quick e-mail using their own webforms. I'm proud to say that I was one of the people that was 'traffic lighted' on trying to access the webpage to send e-mail and am now one of the millions of e-mails waiting to be read. In all honesty I don't expect to influence my elected officials at all, but at least I gave it a go and can now say that at least I told them my opinion so that if I vote against them in the next election they'll know why.

No comments: